New Neighborhood, New Lunch Options

Well, today is the second day at my new job and I had to make a choice. For the last six years I've been working in the LoDo area of Denver. I had lunch down pat; I knew where on the street to find the best tacos, burritos and tamales. I knew where to have an expenses account lunch as well.

But I've moved, downtown to the land of the hi-rise. I've been a bit stumped as to where to go for lunch. Yesterday when my new colleagues treated me to a welcome lunch, I couldn't think of anyplace to go. The name of Earl's came up; since I hadn't been there yet, that's where lunch was.

Hmm, it was different. Maybe Hooter's with better design and a fancier menu? Ok, well thanks girls. No, not the Earl's Girls (do I have to follow that with a "TM"?); but to the ones that took me out for lunch.

Today, I was on my own and lost. I strolled out of the building and saw that Noodle's is opening a new spot down here. The staff was having a tasting. A block over, the Yard House is working on a new location. It kind of feels like the mall over on this side of town. Oh well, I thought, "when in Rome". So I jumped right into the food court of Republic Plaza...what a place! I looked around a bit, then was surprised to find a place called Tokyo Express. I've not seen a Japanese place in a food mall before so I had to try. The menu is actually very interesting: sushi, rice bowls, tempuras, and udons. I saw tonkatsu on the menu and had to order it; I was not disappointed. I started on with the 99 cent bowl of miso, it was rich and full of tofu and seaweed. The tonkatsu is a breaded and fried pork cutlet, served over rice with a huge side of steamed teriyaki vegetables. It takes about 5-6 minutes to prepare and is just right; crunchy on the outside and moist and flavourful inside.
I hope not to eat out everyday, but it's nice to have a place like Tokyo Express to fall back on.

(I almost finished the miso before I remembered to break out the camera, sorry!)


Comments

Popular Posts