Motsu: Menudo Izakaya Style

Sometimes the fascination with another culture motivates me to try something that I haven't tried before.

Obviously menudo is a favorite of mine, but I've never tried cooking it. Then I checked out Mark Robinson's amazing and beautiful book Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook. Wow! I wanted to cook and eat everything in this book; I actually tried several of the recipes.

There is a pub in Tokyo that specializes in their Motsu which is a tripe soup or stew. The chef at this particular izakaya has a French culinary background and has added some interesting touches to the traditional recipe. Even the presentation and the garlic bread provides an interesting twist on this "lowly" pub fare.

Above is my attempt at Motsu; I must say it was divine. Just the right texture and the red wine and akamiso broth was amazing. I will be making this again soon. But at this moment, there is a pot of pozole con pata waiting for me at home. On a cold day like today, it's just right!

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts