Denver's Best Cubano!

Since I first bit into a Cuban sandwich in New York, 10 years ago, I haven't been able to resist ordering one every time I see it on a menu. Here in Denver, where authentic Cuban cuisine is about as rare as pork for Passover, it is always in a non-Cuban restaurant. This, then makes it all the more surprising when you find a sandwich that is not only good, but actually crosses over into the legendary.

Enter the "South Florida Cuban Sandwich" at Pat's Cheesesteaks in Lodo. In my wife's opinion, this is the "best sandwich ever", I'll agree that it is the best Cuban style sandwich I've ever had. A nice chewy baguette filled with thinly sliced, seasoned roast pork and ham. Swiss cheese, mayo, mustard and pickles complete the perfect package. Oh, and don't forget the onion rings! I know, it's kind of a strange combo, but remember, your buying a Cuban sandwich at a Philly Cheesesteak-serving bar. Some things don't make sense, but when they taste this good, que me importa? Would Che approve? I'm not sure, though I'm sure he'd find the dark, underground location of Pat's a worthy hide-out.




Comments

Popular Posts