The Calorie Count: Vegetarian Edition

As you may or may not know, I'm a dropout from the Church of Vegan. For four years soy, in all of its myriad forms, was my friend. I still admire anyone who can stick to this regimen, I found it increasingly difficult to manage. Denver produce was neither as fresh nor as inexpensive as it was on the West Coast.

This last week, my wife's nephew dropped in for a week-long visit. The fact that he is a vegetarian was both a challenge and an opportunity. Needless to say we spent quite a bit of time at City 'o City and Watercourse. I love City 'o City, their vegetarian pizzas are some of the best in town, in my opinion. A thin crust with creative toppings always keep us coming back.

Watercourse, on the other hand, has not been my favorite. In the past I've used this blog to explain my dislike of their new space. I haven't changed my opinion on this point, but I must express my joy at rediscovering the great food they serve. The Toulouse for breakfast is one of the most perfect scrambles, I've had. Smoked portabellos, broccoli, artichoke hearts, swiss cheese, and eggs. Served with their wonderfully crisp home-fries, this is about perfect.

Today's lunch consisted of a portabella Reuben sandwich, tomato/coconut curry soup, garden salad, and onion rings. The soup was amazing, just the right spice and a nice creaminess. We can't go to Watercourse without getting the wonderful "milk" shake. Totally vegan but you don't miss the cream at all. As dessert, it is just right!

Comments

Popular Posts