Oh, What's the Use!!!

So, I've embarked on reading The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan. The idea is that he follows four meals from their component parts to his mouth. Simply fascinating! Also very frightening. Read this book and you might end up walking around muttering, "corn, corn, corn".... ad nauseum (ask my wife). The way we have messed with our food sources is quite sad. This first section, on the "industrial food machine" was sad but not surprising. I've entered the second section that talks about "industrial organic", embodied by the Whole Foods model. This is quite discouraging. I'm beginning to understand where the dilemma comes into the picture.

More about that and my further impressions of the book as I move forward. Let me know if you've read it.

New York Times review

Comments

Popular Posts